Re: ";" invalid char for SQL*Plus ??

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 2000/06/06

In article <393d74f1_at_server.wiz.mbi-net.de>,   "Martin Schlöter" <martin.schloeter_at_mb-interactive.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to Oracle 8i but not to database servers in general.
> I now have problems to load a command file into SQL*Plus.
>
> The command file looks like:
>
> insert into sometable (aField) values ('Hello world1');
> insert into sometable (aField) values ('Hello world2');
>
> Doing a GET followed by a RUN on this command file I'm getting the
 error
> message ORA-00911: Invalid character pointing on the ";" at end of
 line 1.

> But when I copy and paste the content of this command file via
 clipboard
> into SQL*Plus all works fine.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance for any information.
> Regards
> Martin Schlöter

get gets a single command into the buffer -- it sees this as one big insert statement when its really many inserts. You want to use START or @ to run this script. Here is an example, I had a text file test.sql with 2 inserts in it:

ops$tkyte_at_8i> get test
  1 insert into t values ( 1 );
  2* insert into t values ( 2 );
ops$tkyte_at_8i> /
insert into t values ( 1 );

                          *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00911: invalid character

REM get fails -- it treated this as "insert into t values(1); insert into t values (2);", not as 2 statements...

ops$tkyte_at_8i> start test
1 row created.
1 row created.

REM Start ran the script sort of as it you had typed in the commands...

ops$tkyte_at_8i> @test
1 row created.
1 row created.

as does @test...

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) Oracle Service Industries
Howtos and such: http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/index.html

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.