Re: performance drop of >35% from Oracle 7.1 to 8.05

From: MyTwoBits <nighr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/06/06

I'm sure that Linus, Bill and Scott are teaming up to mount a counter-attack Maybe every Internet user is going to get that killer DecNet protocol for their DecStation. I'm going to hide my TK-50 tapes now.

My ribs hurt. I lost my Vax administrator job 8 years ago. The recent activity at Compaq includes engineers using EDT to write their resumes and print them on LN01 printers. I'm sure they can be retrained for the Linux support desk.

In the years since, I've learned Oracle and don't care what the operating system it's on. Last winter I showed a mainframe programmer how to connect to an NT Oracle installation from his OS/390 beast to do table backups via export and SQL*Net. With the exception of power plants and hospitals where I would be cautious about migrations, there is no reason why anyone would stay on VMS a second longer than they had to. Just to run Oracle? Please.

My25/c.

"John Nixon" <jorlnixon_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:qDR_4.4051$vc5.323638_at_bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
>
> snip
> > IMO, frankly I think VMS is on the way out. I remember seeing remarks on
 KPN