Re: ora-06401 error on Oracle7.3.3 AIX

From: <sigdock_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/06

Andreas,

Maybe this will help: in our configuration, Oracle 7.3.4.5 on RS6000 AIX 4.3.2, the listener.ora file is placed in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin and not in /etc. Upgrading to Oracle 7.3.4. would be a good idea anyway since this is the terminal release for the AIX platform.

regards,
B.J. Meinders
Oracle DBA
ASR-ICT In article <cLMkoTdKUFjN-pn2-LpU1rDngpBcU_at_taegi1>,   3taegene_at_informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Andreas Taegener) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install Oracle 7.3.3 on AIX 4.3.2. The installtion seems
> to complete without errors, but when I try to connect to the database
> using sqlplus or svrmgrl with something like
> <user>/<password>@<global_dbname>
> I get the error message
> Error: ORA-06401 : NETCMN: invalid driver designator
>
> After looking it up in the Oracle Technet it seems to me, that the
> SQL*Net symbol for TCP/IP is not linked into these executables. But
> reinstalling and linking as written in the Technet article doesn't
> help. The error is still there.
> I have to say, that I'm not very familiar with Oracle and AIX. So
> maybe I made some mistakes while trying to reinstall and relinking. Or
> the problem is something different.
>
> My setup:
> - The software is installed on a single machine.
> - listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, tnsnav.ora and sqlnet.ora are created
> with the
> Windows Network Manager. These files are configured for TCP/IP on
> port 1526.
> - listener.ora is placed in /etc
> - tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnav.ora are placed in
> $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin
> - in /etc/services I added following lines
> listener 1526/tcp # oracle
> listener 1526/udp # oracle
> - the listener is running
> lsnrctl start
> - the database is open
> svrmgrl
> connect internal
> startup open <sid>
>
> From the console of the server machine I tried tnsping which works
> fine. But svrmgrl and sqlplus don't. I tried some variations of the
> connect string without success:
> user/password@<global_dbname>
> /@t:<host>:<sid>
>
> If someone has an idea on solving the problem, it would be very nice
> if he/she can tell me what to do as detailed as possible or can tell
> where I can find such detailed informations.
> By the way. How uses Oracle the words "instance", "database" and
> "system" (as in sid = systemidentifier) ? It seems to me, that it is
> different to the way db2 does.
>
> Many thanks in advance and kind regards
> Andreas Taegener

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jun 06 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT