Re: Oracle Help!

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/06/06

> Read How to hire an Oracle DBA by MIke Ault
>
> http://www.revealnet.com/dbapipe/archives.htm#code02

A very good suggestion!

> > 1. What are the daily tasks of a DBA? (please be detailed)

Daily tasks of a DBA can be similar to a sysadmin. You check database availability, create users and ensure security, respond to requests from programmers and sysadmins. Troubleshoot problems. Install software. I've always thought that a DBA is very similar to sysadmins except they administer the database, not the server.

> > 2. How may instances does an average DBA administer? How large are
 the
> > databases?

This all varys. In our shop, we have DBAs who administer 10-15 databases. We also have one DBA who administers 5 databases. But this is not an indication of how busy one is. The guy with the smaller number of dbs is just as busy (if not more so) than the guy who administers 15 dbs. It all depends on the front end application to the database. A 3rd part app generally requires less work than an app developed "in-house".

The database sizes vary greatly too. I have databases that are as small as 100 MBytes and ones that are as large as 500 GBytes. It all depends on the app and the data you are trying to store.

> > 3. Is it more common to use 3d party tools to create scripts for
 tuning &
> > backup purposes and if so, which 3 party tools? (does that go for
 creating
> > objects - procedures, triggers, users... too?)

Some people may use these tools. Personally, I develop all of my scripts by hand. I'm probably old fashioned that way. But at least I know exactly how they work and what they do. But there are useful tools from vendors like Quest, etc.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at