Re: Temp Tablespace

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/06/05

Are you sure that your application does not need lots of temp space? The temp tablespace you listed is not very large. You might want to consider increasing it. I have one database that has a 6 GByte temp tablespace. This is on the large side of things, but I could envision that you could possibly need a 500M or 1G temp tablespace.

As to your last question, there is no way to manually shrink the temp tablespace other than restarting the database. Once temporary segments are no longer needed, the system will release them automatically for you. If your temp tablespace is filling up, then I would suggest that it is too small.

HTH,
Brian

jackwithman_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am very curious of something.
> I'm running under oracle 8.1.5 and my temp tablespace (200 M) is always
> full (99%). As soon as I shut down my database, the temp tablespace is
> purged but when I bring the database back up it starts growing and in
> half a day, temp is choking and I have sometimes failures to extend.
>
> Looks like a lot of space is lost.
> Is there any way to 'shrink' it, other than bringing the tablespace
> offline and online right after?
>
> ThanXs for your help.
>
> Jack
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/