Re: Can someone explain?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/06/05

<kaminari85_at_my-deja.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 8hgsiv$ekn$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> I need a comparison.....How does Oracle work.....I know how to develop
> and maintain a db in MSaccess. First I go and create tables, second
> create forms to access the tables, etc. I downloaded the trial version
> of personal Oracle and can't figure out how to even start to build
> anything. I need to figure how to creat a small database to see how
> Oracle works. Do I need to download other parts of Oracle.....What am I
> missing? I apologize for such a Newbie question, but you have to start
> somewhere right. Thanks for any help----John
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Oracle has separate backend and frontend products. Personal Oracle basically is a standalone PC version of their backend product. This means it comes without frontend tools, except for Oracle Objects for Ole, which allows you to connect Visual Basic or Visual C to Oracle directly, without using ODBC and/or Jet/ISAM (Access).
So if you have win95 or win98, and you have VB or VC, (or Delphi) No problem, you can use those.
If you have NT, you can download designer (casetool) and/or developer (the Oracle frontend tool)
(BTW I am in a similar situation, and I am probably forced to buy VB or Delphi)

In your current state you can use either sql*plus or Oracle Navigator to create objects. You can't however create forms and reports (which is all what developer is about)

Yet another BTW: If during installation you took all defaults, you will already have a database.
Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon Jun 05 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT