Re: performance drop of >35% from Oracle 7.1 to 8.05

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/06/05

Oracle in the past announced it would drop the single task implementation of Oracle, available on VMS *only*.
The two-task interface, uncommon, but available on VMS, but the *only* option on *all* other platforms, was going to be the only interface. So, yes, this was to be expected (mailboxes probably being implemented using $QIO and/or $QIOW calls) and, regrettably, there is *no* workaround, as this is an architectural change. The only other option would be (depending on the number of users) implement the MultiThreaded Server, if that's available for VMS.
IMO, frankly I think VMS is on the way out. I remember seeing remarks on KPN dropping this platform too. This is of course a pity, but was to be expected after DEC was bought by Compaq
Hopefully you are going to replace it by some Unix flavor, instead of that flaky NT

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker
Oracle DBA
former VMS user/enthusiast

Dirk Munk <d.munk_at_kpn.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 01bfcf04$73b73ab0$ab4815ac_at_HKTGN0002251944...