ora-06401 error on Oracle7.3.3 AIX

From: Andreas Taegener <3taegene_at_informatik.uni-hamburg.de>
Date: 2000/06/05

Hello,

I'm trying to install Oracle 7.3.3 on AIX 4.3.2. The installtion seems to complete without errors, but when I try to connect to the database using sqlplus or svrmgrl with something like

   <user>/<password>@<global_dbname>
I get the error message
  Error: ORA-06401 : NETCMN: invalid driver designator

After looking it up in the Oracle Technet it seems to me, that the SQL*Net symbol for TCP/IP is not linked into these executables. But reinstalling and linking as written in the Technet article doesn't help. The error is still there.
I have to say, that I'm not very familiar with Oracle and AIX. So maybe I made some mistakes while trying to reinstall and relinking. Or the problem is something different.

My setup:
- The software is installed on a single machine.

From the console of the server machine I tried tnsping which works fine. But svrmgrl and sqlplus don't. I tried some variations of the connect string without success:
  user/password@<global_dbname>
  /@t:<host>:<sid>

If someone has an idea on solving the problem, it would be very nice if he/she can tell me what to do as detailed as possible or can tell where I can find such detailed informations. By the way. How uses Oracle the words "instance", "database" and "system" (as in sid = systemidentifier) ? It seems to me, that it is different to the way db2 does.

Many thanks in advance and kind regards
Andreas Taegener Received on Mon Jun 05 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT