Re: Parallel SQL*Loader

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 2000/06/04

In article <nFw_4.4387$gr4.207974_at_news1.rdc1.il.home.com>,   "MyTwoBits" <nighr_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Multiple applications can use SQL*Loader at the same time--up to the
 number
> of connections you've configured your database for. If you have four
> processors and four disk channels, you should be able to load four
 tables
> simulataneously with little degradation in performance. If you're
 using
> asynchronous I/O, you can load even more at a time.
>
> It's not a license issue, but one of hardware and expected
 performance.

> My25/c.

What Shawn was referring to is the fact that sqlldr has a PARALLEL=true option. If you use PARALLEL=true (to do a parallel direct path load into a table) you must be licensed for the PARALLEL QUERY (not server) option.

In 7.3, this was an option (eg: you had to buy it in addition to anything else you bought). You typicaly needed enterprise edition with the Parallel Query Option to have the ability to use this paralle=true setting on sqlldr.

In 8.0, Parallel Load is a feature of Oracle8 EE (if you have Enterprise Edition -- you can use parallel=true). It is not a feature of standard (so on standard, you are not licensed for this feature).

In 8.1, Parallel Load is a feature of both EE and standard.

See
http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/server.816/a76962/ch4.htm#529 39

and search for "parallel load" on that page.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) Oracle Service Industries
Howtos and such: http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/index.html