Re: Connection pooling

From: Newbie <nospam_at_please.com>
Date: 2000/06/04

Thanks - that works as long as I am using "Microsoft OLEDB for ODBC drivers" and the "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" drivers.

Why doesn't it work when I use "Microsoft OLEDB for ODBC drivers" and "Oracle ODBC" drivers? I'm still not getting connection pooling in this case.

Thanks in advance.

Michael D. Long <lead_dog_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:0gc_4.2705$Su6.57203_at_news1.atl...

> Modify the registry and change the OLEDB_Services entry for
> MSDASQL to 0. You should then reboot. Note that by default
> OLE DB resource pooling is enabled and ODBC connection
> pooling is inactive.
>
> To verify that ODBC connection pooling is enabled you can
> check the ODBC counters using PerfMon.
>
> Also, be aware that the version of MDAC you are running can
> have a significant impact on performance. MDAC 2.1 SP2 or
> 2.5 both provide good performance.
>
> You may still find that you need to tune Oracle to get it to
> outperform SQL Server on the same hardware. The default
> configuration of the Oracle install will only yield mediocre
> performance.
>
> --
> Michael D. Long
> http://extremedna.homestead.com
>

> "Newbie" <nospam_at_please.com> wrote in message
> > I am comparing Oracle 8i and SQL Server 7.0 and am getting poor
 performance
> > with Oracle. I have a VB component calling stored procedures in SQL
 Server
> > and Oracle via ADO and ODBC drivers. Oracle is 20 times slower i.e. 0.6
 secs
> > per transaction as opposed to 0.03 secs/transaction with SQL Server.
> >
> > However, if I run the Oracle stored procedure from SQL Plus then I get
 0.002
> > secs/transaction. So it looks like the Oracle stored procedure and
 database
> > are OK.
> >
> > I am beginning to suspect that my problem concerns connection pooling. I
 am
> > using the Oracle ODBC driver and I wonder if I am not getting any
 connection
> > pooling at all. If I have a continuously open conection in VB I get
 0.019
> > secs/transaction. If I open and close the connection each transaction
 then