Re: data offloading

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 2000/06/02

In article <3937F007.EF1682B7_at_stfx.ca>,
  Kerri Adams <x97cjq_at_stfx.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am currently working on a project where we have to offload data from
> the production database and store the data on tapes. In the future,
 if
> the data is ever requested, it has to be either imported back into
 the
> production database or imported into a dummy database so that it can
 be
> queried. Since we only want to export certain rows from a table
 there
> are extra steps involved with using the export command. The only way
> that we have come up with to accomplish this would be to do the
> following steps:
> 1. Create a new table containing only the rows that need to be
 exported
> using
> the CREATE AS statement.
> 2. Add the constraints to the newly created table.
> 3. Export the new table.
> 4. When export has terminated successfully, drop the new table.
> 5. Delete the rows that have been exported from the data tables.
> I was wondering if anyone knew of alternate ways of offloading data
 onto
> tapes that can be later loaded back into a database without having to
> use the export/import commands. Or if anyone knows of an alternate
> method of accomplishing this by using the export/import commands.
> Thanks,
> Kerri Adams

You do not mention a database version. In Oracle8i, release 8.1.5 and up, you can specify a query to export. For example:

exp scott/tiger tables=emp query="where job='SALESMAN' and sal<1600"

see
http://technet.oracle.com/doc/server.815/a67792/ch01.htm#37997

for details.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) Oracle Service Industries
Howtos and such: http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/index.html

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.