create a new instance in 8i on novell 5

From: Robin Witkop-Staub <robin_at_witkopstaub.com>
Date: 2000/06/02

I just installed Oracle 8 on a Novell Netware 5 server that a department in my company required for a new software program. I am new to Oracle and am going off the supplied Novell documentation for Oracle. It installed with a default ORANW80 database that I connected to fine. I now need to set up a new database for use by the department. I copied the initorcl.ora file and edited the required data. Now the document states I have to check to make sure I don't have a conflicting instance. I am using the Instance Manager that came with the client (admin install). The only instance I see is for the default database and it is running/started? I looked at the tsanames file and they all point to a SID=ORCL. My documentation says my SID should be the same as my new database name so how do I add a new SID?

Also, Can anyone suggest some good beginner material for learning Oracle on my own. Received on Fri Jun 02 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT