How Can I Logon to the Local Node Using UID/PWD@SID Syntax?

From: <dhmac_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/01

I'm having a problem logging on my database that exists only if I try loggin on from the database server itself. If I'm on this server, I can logon to the development database found on another server, no problem:

HP-UX(SI): sqlplus user1/user1_at_MYDB_DEV

<Successful connection to dev database>

But if I try to logon to the instance on the local server, I get an error:

HP-UX(SI): sqlplus user1/user1_at_MYDB_SI

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

Now, here's the kicker, if I retry to logon to the instance on the local server by calling SQL*Plus without any arguments, I get in:

HP_UX(SI): sqlplus

Enter user-name: user1
Enter password: user1

<Successful connection to si database>

Plus, Users logging on from client workstations over the network can use SQL*Plus for Windows to successful logon to this database as well.

Is there some option I can set to allow logins using UID/PWD_at_SID syntax?

(Note: Java is not installed on this server, which is a HP K-class server running HP-UX 11.0)

My connection info in TNSNAMES.ORA is like this:

MYDB_SI.world =

   (DESCRIPTION =

     (ADDRESS_LIST =
         (ADDRESS =
           (PROTOCOL = TCP)
           (host = SIUNIX_FLOATIP)
         )
     )
     (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = MYDB_SI)

   )

My LISTENER.ORA is like this:

LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =

          (ADDRESS =
             (PROTOCOL = TCP)
             (Host = SIUNIX_FIXEDIP)
             (Port = 1521)
          )
          (ADDRESS=
             (PROTOCOL=IPC)
             (KEY=MYDB_SI)
          )

  )
SID_LIST_LISTENER=
        (SID_LIST =
                (SID_DESC =
                        (SID_NAME = MYDB_SI)
                        (ORACLE_HOME = /oracle/product/8.0.6)
                )
         )

STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER=0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER=10

TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER=OFF
TRACE_DIRECTORY_LISTENER=/oradmp210
TRACE_FILE_LISTENER=LISTENER

LOG_DIRECTORY_LISTENER=/oracle/product/8.0.6/network/log LOG_FILE_LISTENER=LISTENER

And my SQLNET.ORA is like this:

NAME.DEFAULT_ZONE = world

NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = world

#sqlnet.authentication_services = (NONE)

SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 0 SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_SERVER = requested

SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_CLIENT = requested

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, HOSTNAME) AUTOMATIC_IPC = ON

Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Don

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jun 01 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT