Increase in Packet size moving to Oracle 8.0.5

From: Robert DeMone <rob_at_demone.com>
Date: 2000/06/01

We have just recently migrated to Oracle version 8.0.5 from 7.3.4 on HP-UX and we have noticed that for some strange reason with the introduction of Oracle 8.0.5 there is a marked increase in frames that fall between 1024 and 1514 Bytes. The decode indicates that these are definitely 1500 byte packets traveling between the db and the web servers (OAS). When looking at our tests involving Oracle 7.3.4 the most common frame size seen lies between 65 byte and 127 byte frame sizes. The extra traffic being generated is huge and can bring our network to a crawl.

Would any kind soul out there have any idea what could be causing the increase in the size of our packets? We are using the same server in both cases. Only the Oracle version is different.

Thanks,

Rob DeMone
rob_at_demone.com Received on Thu Jun 01 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT