Dynamic cursors

From: Sam Habbab <sam_at_hasc.com>
Date: 2000/05/31

Hi,

Is there a way to create a cursor and set the column names dynamically?

Here is what I'm trying to do.
I have the following table:

field_id field_name, field_value

1         username    sam
2         email          sam_at_sam.com
3         company    Sam Inc.
4         username    bill
5         email           bill_at_bill.com
6         company     Bill Inc

P.S.: I have no control over the field_name column. That's why I can't change this table to: field_id, username, email, company, field_value

I want to call a function with any of the following parameters: username, company, email.
for example, call the function with username and email ==> the return cursor should be:

username email

sam            sam_at_sam.com
bill              bill_at_bill.com

This means that the cursor was dynamically created with two columns: username and email.

Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance.

Sam Habbab Received on Wed May 31 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT