Re: Estimate the Size of an Full Database Export

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 2000/05/26

Michael Kroh <michael.kroh_at_basf-ag.de> wrote:

>Has anyone a script to estimate the size if a full database export.
>I need this the check the disk before the export runs.

Auto compress the export (I assume your on Unix).

Something like:
mkfifo -p pipe.dmp
compress < pipe.dmp > database.dmp &
exp userid=sys/password file=pipe.dmp full=y log=export.log

First command above create a FIFO pipe. Second command starts to run the compressor in the background, reading from the pipe and writing the resultant compressed data into a binary file. The last command starts up the exporter and dumps the database down the pipe.

As for determing the size.. guess work will have to do as it depends on how well the data can compress. At worse, the export size will be the same size as the database, minus of course rollback and temp segments. Do a select from dba_data_files, select only the data files (exclude the files assigned to the temp and rollback tablespaces) and sum the bytes. This should give you a very rough total to play around with.

If you need to this on HPUX, give me a shout via private e-mail and I can send you my export and import scripts I've got that does loading/unloading via pipes to/from compressed files.

Billy Received on Fri May 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT