Re: SQL IO Disk Reads

From: Paul <paul_at_yeahright.com>
Date: 2000/05/26

Thanks
Paul

Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com> wrote in message news:20000526.4303800_at_noname.nodomain.nowhere...

In all probability Oracle will read no more than one data read to fetch both rows.

Oracle reads multiple OS disk blocks at a time. The number of bytes read can be found by multiplying the size of the data base block buffer by the number of blocks read. Once data is read it stays in the block buffer ares until it is flushed out - which happens when all of the blocks in the buffer are filled, one or more blocks have to be read into the buffer, and the block in question is the Least Recently Used block.