Re: backup & recovery procedure for Oracle8i/Solaris

From: Bob Fazio <rfazio_at_home.com.nospam>
Date: 2000/05/26

Consider using rman to do the backups if you are on 8.0 or higher. The script language is fairly powerful, and the backups are a lot faster. You also have the ability to just do incremental backups.

For quicker take downs of the database

Use the shutdown abort to get an instantanious shutdown, but make sure that you start it backup, and do a shutdown immediate. If you don't do that the files need a recovery, and may not be useable if something happens to the online redo logs.

svrmgrl
> connect internal
> shutdown abort;
> startup;