Re: Oracle's e-commerce site is not secure

From: Tim Hentzel <thentzel_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/05/24

quick answer: the site uses frames.

according to the oracle website, your order is secure. the following text was copied directly from the site.

<snip>
Why Your Order is Secure

Security is our top priority. In our multi-level approach to this issue, services, host and network are secured independently. All locally-stored personal information is turned into an encrypted ID by Verisign. These IDs are a "lock and key" electronic security system.

After we secure your credit card number with VeriSign, it never leaves our server. Your transaction is turned into a CyberCash transaction, which is sent over the Internet using 768-bit RSA security. This security does not depend on SSL channels and therefore is very secure for international transactions.

Please Note: Although your order is secured via an SSL page, you will not see the graphic in the lower left hand side of you browser "lock". This is because OTN's Website use frames. </snip>

tim
http://www.codegarden.com

In article <3929666d$0$10882_at_senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>,   herrera_at_MIT.EDU (Ramon F Herrera) wrote:

> The Oracle Store is NOT secure.
>
> I have been trying to order one of the $200 developer tracks
> for several days now. When you reach the point where you
> are ready to place the order, sometimes you see the message
> that tells you that the session will become secure, sometimes
> you don't see this message. HOWEVER, in either case, the
> secure lock icon at the bottom of the window (I use only
> Netscape) will NOT become locked at any time.
>
> Therefore: if you purchase anything your credit card information
> will be sent unencrypted, for all those hackers out there to see.
>
> Anyone knows if I can order the e-store items by phone?
>
> -Ramon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed May 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT