Help pls: Access -> Oracle via SQLPlus?

From: <duryeaa00_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/24

I'm migrating an Access '97 DB (tables only) to Oracle 7.3 on a VMS platform using SQLPlus. I have little experience in either and few resources available at this time. Basically, I've got a telnet session to SQL Plus and SQL Loader. Can you help me with the following please?

  1. How do I identify field constraints such as primary and foreign keys in a CREATE statement (I have examples of how to do it through ALTER but why do all of that schlock twice?) What's the syntax?
  2. Data Type conversions, please confirm or correct the following: Access Oracle Yes/No = Raw(1) Long Int= Number(7,0), Raw(16)? Single = Number(?,?) Text(X) = VarChar2(X), X = some number of chars
  3. Access Autonumber: In order to replicate the Access Autonumber "variable" type, it looks like I need to create a TRIGGER (however one does that . . .) However, the Oracle book I've got obliquely advises not to create too many triggers if I can avoid it for DB performance reasons. Is there an alternate method? If not, do I have to make a trigger for each table? Can I get a quick example of how to create a trigger with this functionality? (I can psuedo-code it but my syntax resources aren't all that right now.)
  4. At this point I have a generic SQL book and "Oracle 8i, a Beginner's Guide," as my central resources. Can you point me to any more dedicated SQL or migration resources (free and online preferred but I'm not too picky at the moment ;)

Thanks for your time, and have a great day!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed May 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT