Re: Post installation problem on oracle 8.15 in solaris 2.6

From: Kenny Lim <kennylim_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 2000/05/24

Thanks Again for the pointers and your precious time !

I am now able to startup the listener, mount the instance and connect to the instance via connect string locally. (Hooray !)

ie. ./sqlplus system/manager_at_sparc5

#initially, I was getting the generic "oracle not available" error messages which is due to the sid and oracle_home path for the listener that was not set correctly.

#we are definately progressing here and at the same time I am feeling more comfortable with the solaris environment.

I have one final question though if you don't mind, me and my co-workers had been
trying to figure this part out but so far had not much luck with it.

#We are now able to connect even with the connect string on the local machine
but are not able to connect via our Net8 client utilities residing on a NT box.

We receive the "oracle not available" error message. We had verified and reconfigure the client
tnsnames over and over again but had not much luck with it. (this simulation was also
tested on multiple client NT boxes with from 7.3.4, 8.05, 8.15 and 8.16 but had received the
same error messages)

So far we...

(a) are able to tnsping the sun box from the client NT machine

# I am using a unix emulator utilities on NT, that's why you are seeing $ instead of c:\>

$ tnsping sparc5

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production on 24-MAY-00 12:46:41
(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation.

All rights reserved.
Attempting to contact (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=sparc5)(PORT=1521)) OK (570 msec)
$

(b) are able to connect if I telnet directly to the sun box

$ ./sqlplus system/manager_at_sparc5

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production on Wed May 24 00:52:16 2000
(c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved
Connected to:
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production With the Partitioning and Java options
PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
SQL>
(c) are able to connect to the rest of the oracle running on nt servers

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production on Wed May 24 12:48:22 2000
(c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
Connected to:
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production
SQL>
(d) are able to connect to the oracle running on linux server

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production on Wed May 24 13:00:14 2000
(c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
Connected to:
Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production PL/SQL Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production
SQL> Do you by anychance know what might be the source of the problem off your head ?

Let me know if you need more explicit information - such as the listener.ora and the client tnsnames.ora.

Thanks ALL in advance and may the force be with you !

Kenny-