Re: replace substring

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: 2000/05/23

Use the function in an Update statement:

Look :

SQL> create table test_mytext(
  2 mytext varchar2(45));

Table created.

SQL> insert into test_mytext values ('Change');

1 row created.
  1* insert into test_mytext values ('replace') 1 row created.

SQL> update test_mytext set mytext = replace(mytext,'Change','NewChange') ;

2 rows updated.

SQL> select * from test_mytext;

MYTEXT

NewChange
replace

Hope it helps...

GHouck <hksys_at_teleport.com> wrote:

>Svein Fossdal wrote:
>>
>> Thanx for your answer - this seems to be the function I was looking for.
>>
>> But how do you use it on columns in a table?
>> For example, if we have the table TEST with a column TEXT and
>> we want to replace all occurences of a substring of TEXT in all rows.
>> I tried
>> select replace(select tekst from test,'e','E') from TEST;
>>
>> but it seems to want a pure text string as an input.
>>
>> How do I use this function to change every occurence of a
>> specific substring to a new one in a column of a table, for
>> all rows?
>>
>> Thanx in advance.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Svein Fossdal
>>
>> Michel Cadot <micadot_at_netcourrier.com> wrote in message
>> > What about the replace function of SQL?
>> >
>> > REPLACE
>> > Syntax REPLACE(char, search_string[,replacement_string])
>> >
>> > Purpose
>> >
>> > Returns char with every occurrence of search_string replaced
>> > with replacement_string. If replacement_string is omitted or
>> > null, all occurrences of search_string are removed. If
>> > search_string is null, char is returned. This function provides
>> > a superset of the functionality provided by the TRANSLATE
>> > function. TRANSLATE provides single character, one to one,
>> > substitution. REPLACE allows you to substitute one string
>> > for another as well as to remove character strings.
>> >
>> > Example
>> >
>> > SELECT REPLACE('JACK and JUE','J','BL') "Changes"
>> > FROM DUAL
>> >
>> > Changes
>> > BLACK and BLUE
>> >
>> > --
>> > Have a nice day
>> > Michel

 mfwW4.10645$C9.190172_at_news1.online.no...