Re: Post installation problem on oracle 8.15 in solaris 2.6

From: Kenny Lim <kennylim_at_techie.com>
Date: 2000/05/23

Thanks for the pointers, it seems like the problem derived from ORACLE_SID. I am now able to connect via the dbalias name on my sun solaris machine.

One questions though, I am running into the same problem when attempting to connect via the client utilities on a NT workstation machine.

ERROR:
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

# I was able to tnsping to the sun boxes via the NT machine.

Attempting to contact (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=sun)(PORT=1521)) OK (20 msec)

The funny thing is that i was also able to connect to our Linux (redhat 6.1) running
oracle 8.05 through our NT boxes using oracle client utilities and not to the
sun solaris box. (Oracle 8.15)

#enclosed here is the tnsnames for the sun box.

SPARC5 =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SUN)(PORT = 1521))     )
(CONNECT_DATA =

      (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )

Do you by anychance had run into the same problem before ? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and you have a pleasant day.

Kenny-