Re: Tablespace storage parameters

From: <tandym_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/05/23

I like to break the tablespace up into two or more datafiles - but I do this only for those tablespaces that will house transaction intensive tables. This way I can place the files each on a separate drive and get better performance.

When creating and identifying extents - try to size your initial extent to hold your current amount of data plus enough space for a year, and then make your next extent half of that. Max extents should be total file size divided by next extents (minus two for the initial).

just my two cents.

sonya

In article <GHruqPAaKbK5Ew93_at_rees-chappell.demon.co.uk>,   James Chappell <james_at_rees-chappell.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> What is the consequence of choosing particular values for the initial
> and next extents when creating a datafile for a tablespace.
>
> If I want to create a tablespace of (say) 500M would it be better to
> have several smaller files, or one large one?
>
> I'm using Oracel8 on NT
> --
> James Chappell

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue May 23 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT