SQL*net and multiple network cards..

From: <rjstevens_at_dera.gov.uk>
Date: 2000/05/19

Hello

I have recently taken on part of the management of a system in which 5 NT application servers (running Peoplesoft FS/HR with oracle 8 client) connect to a unix oracle 8 server on 2 dedicated private networks.

At present, only one of the available networks is used in the TNSNAMES.ORA file on each of the appservers. Basically the raw IP address for the database(s) is specified. When I asked the developers if both addresses could be put there to give a redundant path to the database (if the 'primary' network failed) , the reply was that it slowed the performance, and was therefore removed.

Sure enough, eventually there was a problem with the primary network, which was fairly easily solved by manually swapping the TNSNAMES.ORA on the appservers for one using the IP addresses of the other network. It still caused a bit of a stink though, so I had the idea of an automated check to swap the tnsnames on detection of a failure, but apparently this won't work as the file won't be read until oracle restarts, losing all the connections.

Of course, if I had been involved in this project from the start I would have had something done to address this at the hardware or operating system level, but it's too late now. (typical!)

Oracle is not my specialty. (I manage the NT in this situation) What I would like to ask you all is:

  1. Can multiple network paths be specified in the TNSNAMES.ORA without causing any problems?
  2. Is there a way to switch the TNSNAMES.ORA on the fly and maintain connections?
  3. Can you suggest any other way in which this could be done? (without new hardware)

Many thanks

-Rob StevensNT
 System Manager
Amey Comax (At DERA)
rjstevens_at_dera.gov.uk Received on Fri May 19 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT