Re: TNS-03505 eror

From: Bastiaan Schaap <bschaap_at_desyde.nl>
Date: 2000/05/18

Try putting in a registry entry TNS_ADMIN under the Oracle key, and for the value use the path to the tnsnames.ora you wish to use. It also helps to set an environment variable called ORACLE_HOME, which points to the oracle home directory. The problem you have mostly occurs when two clients are installed on one machine, or a client installation was performed multiple times... If this doesn't work then delete all your tnsnames.ora files and make a new entry with the SQL*Net Easy configuration tool. You should use this to make sure your alias names are correct. I see that you have mybase.mynet.fr as alias. Sometimes sqlplus will not connect if you use mybase as alias. Have you tried connecting with: user/ passw @ mybase.mynet.fr ?? Also make sure you have the right service name (SID) entered. The SID is entered when you install the database. The default is ORCL, but your database probably has a different SID.

Hope this helps,

Bastiaan Schaap

"Jerome Poirier" <jerome.poirier_at_lip6.fr> wrote in message news:ilBU4.196$2y1.463985_at_nnrp1.proxad.net...
> Hello,
>
> First, I apologize for my "frenchy" english.
> I try to connect a NT client to a Oracle 8.1 remote database, and I have
> some TNS problems.
>
> Here is the file oracle\network\admin\tnsnames.ora :
> # D:\ORACLE\NETWORK\ADMIN\TNSNAMES.ORA Configuration
> File:D:\oracle\NETWORK\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora
> # Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant
> MYBASE.MYNET.FR =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = casanova.mynet.fr)(PORT =
> 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = GENERAL)
> )
> )
> When I try "tnsping MYBASE.MYNET.FR" or "tnsping MYBASE", the following
> error occurs : "TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name".
> When I try "SQL Plus", the following error occurs : "ORA-12154: TNS:could
> not resolve service name".
>
> I have this other file : oracle\designer\network\admin\tnsnames.ora. And
> when I add MYBASE.MYNET into it, the tnsping works great...
> (So I think that tnsping don't use the good tnsnames.ora file)
> But with this configuration, when I try to connect "SQL Plus" the
 ORA-12154