Re: Raw partitions and Nr of datafiles

From: Bob Fazio <rfazio_at_home.com.nospam>
Date: 2000/05/18

Yes there are a lot of disadvantages to that, two big ones are:

  1. Max extent size for any table is now 100M.
  2. If you have striping considerations Indexes/Data you may not know what disks the small partitions were placed on.

All our databases are raw, and we construct them on an as needed bases. It is a little more work, but you will really want to take advantage of the flexibility of raw partitions if you are going to go through the effort to do it.

P.S. Use some sort of tool to lay them out, veritos is a great tool for the job if you have access to it.

--
Robert Fazio, Oracle DBA
rfazio_at_home.com
"Mike_nl" <Mike_nl_at_dds.nl> wrote in message

> [posted and mailed]
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a unix server with a raw partition configuration. My idea is to
> configure all partitions as 100 MB so I'm maximal flexible to allocate
these
> pieces to tablespaces of different sizes.
>
> I mean, when I need 3 GB I will alocate 30 chunks of 100 MB. When I need a
TS
> size of 300 MB I will allocate 3 chunks.
>
> The reason for this approach is that when I have for example chunks of 500
MB
> and I need 100 MB for a table space I will have an overhead of 400 MB!!!!
>
> Can anyone tell me if there are any real disadvantages when I choose 100
MB raw