Re: detecting dictionary passwords

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/05/18

The passwords are stored internally in encrypted format. And the encryption algorithm uses the username in it. So the same word will not encrypt the same way for two different users.

SQL> create user test1 identified by beaches;

User created.

SQL> create user testinganother1 identified by beaches;

User created.

SQL> select username,password from dba_users where username like 'TEST%'; USERNAME PASSWORD

-------------------- ------------------------------
TEST1                B9D93E173D4569C8
TESTINGANOTHER1      DA8D0E59833C6F45

See, two different encryptions for the same word. The best that you can do is create a password verification function in Oracle 8 and higher.

HTH,
Brian

"John M. Olsen" wrote:

> I am interested in any information concerning how to go about scanning
> the passwords in the user table for cases where the user has used a
> common dictionary word as a password. The requirement for
> accredidation is to enforce that users do not use a common word as a
> password.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> --
> John M. Olsen