Re: More than 1 version of Oracle on a Machine

From: Dennis Edward <temp509_at_ipipeline.net>
Date: 2000/05/17

Not a problem, subject to RAM and HD limitations. On unixes, you simply end up with the two versions in different directory trees, i.e. /oracle/app/7.3.2 and /oracle/app/7.3.4 (or whatever). You also have to make sure that the entries in /etc/oratab specify the proper path for each one, since dbstart and dbshut use that file to determine what binaries to use for what instances.

Another thing is to make sure your listener is started from the newest version -- i.e. make sure you set ORACLE_HOME to (ferinstance) /oracle/app/7.3.4 and add the appropriate $ORACLE_HOME/bin to your PATH before doing lsnrctl start

Most of the time when you have multiple versions on a server and you are having weird errors, it's caused by the env vars being out of sync with what you're trying to do, i.e. you're running the older svrmgrl and trying to access the newer instance. Boom.