developer installation problems

From: Frits West <fritswest_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/05/12

I'm fairly new to Oracle. To make at least a start with learning Oracle / Oracle Developer. I downloaded (from technet) and installed Oracle 8i on my Windows NT Server and installed the client on my Windows 98 machine.
Within a couple of minutes I had everything up and running including the ODBC link, which I tested using Ms Access.

Then I continued with installing Devoloper (6?) on my Windows 98 machine. Unfortunately I got the following message: The location specified d:Oracle\Ora81 is already used as an Oracle home for Oracle 816 Production" It cannot be used as an Oracle home for win95. Then I tried a different location and got the message that it could only be installed on OraHome81, which referred to (i thought d:\Oracle\Ora81) I tried to uninstall and reinstall again, but then things got really messy. It looks like the uninstall procedures are not really working.

At one stage I had developer in place but I couldn't connect to the server using SQL*Plus. When I used the SQL*Plus from the Oracle 8i client installation there was no problem connect whatsoever.

What am I doing wrong or how can I fix this?

Any help, suggestions would be appreciated.

Frits West Received on Fri May 12 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT