Oracle purchase advice...

From: <ajohnson_at_ocentrix.com>
Date: 2000/05/12

We've got a new company here. Our product is web-based databases. We're looking to move out of mysql and potentially into Oracle.

We're looking into Oracle 8i Standard and I'd really like some of your insight into the financial 'biting the bullet' aspect of going with Oracle.

It has been suggested that we perhaps migrate from mysql into postgres-- delaying the financial investment until necessary. Any thoughts?

We'd most likely be licensing Oracle for Red Hat and it's my understanding that with 8i the only benefit of licensing/running the db server on more than 1 cpu is the fail safe of the 2nd cpu taking over in the event of the failure of the 1st (in other words, we'd not be gaining the actual performance benefits of running multiple cpu's as we would with the Enterprise product). So...(in your esteemed opinions) to save money, would it be 'sufficient' to purchase the Oracle license for just one cpu? What would be the reasons not to license just the 1 cpu?

I'm looking to present some reasonable scenarios here so the company can make the best business decision--and any insight any of you can give will be most appreciated.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri May 12 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT