Re: Oracle Hints

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: 2000/05/11

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> Gertjan <gr_at_compexbv.nl> schreef in berichtnieuws
> 8fc67m$29j$1_at_porthos.nl.uu.net...
> > In several messages I noticed that some of you are using optimizer hints?
 Is
> > using these hits advisable? Some of my colleques have advised me NOT to
 use
> > hints but to 'play around' with the were-clauses.
> >
> > Also, can anyone can give me some directions to sites or books that
 explain
> > hints???
> >
> > Thanx,
> > Gertjan
> >

> The use of hints is a necessity as the perfect optimizer doesn't exist.
> If you are using the cost based optimizer playing around with where clauses
> is not going to make much difference. It will work in the rule based
> optimizer, which is still present in the software but has been obsoleted
> officially with Oracle 7.1, way back in 1993 or 1994.

So what about a situation like this. I'm about to start working with an application in which statistics have never been run. The developer who wrote the front end has embedded a lot of hints in his code to make the application work better. If I start running statistics will the execution plan for the sql which uses the hints change? Should I suggest to the developer that once I start running statistics that he drop the hints and see if he gets an execution plan that is better then what he was getting before with the hint? Received on Thu May 11 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT