Re: PL/SQL

From: Bastiaan Schaap <bschaap_at_desyde.nl>
Date: 2000/05/11

Hi James,

There isn't any standard host command to execute system-commands from within the database. However with the help of some Oracle documentation we solved this exact same problem to send e-mails with Oracle 8.0.5 on Linux. What we did was creating a little server program in Pro*C, that 'listens' to the database through pipes. So then by writing a little package in PL/SQL, using the dbms_pipe package, we can execute any linux system command. Sending mail was accomplished by making a little shell-script that executes sendmail. I believe we used the example shown in the 'Oracle7 Server Application Developer's Guide'. It's all described in chapter 8 'Sending messages between Sessions with pipes'. All you need to know is in there. I know for sure this works for unix/linux, for NT however I didn't try it yet..

Good luck,

Bastiaan Schaap