Re: Oracle backup question

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/10

In article <3919A2C0.39D55B7F_at_stfx.ca>,
  Kerri <x97cjq_at_stfx.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am currently doing a project in which I have to create a backup
 system
> for a database. The backup system will save the data that is greater
> than a year old to tapes and when the information is needed again it
> will be loaded from the tapes and sent via e-mail to the people who
> requested it. I am wondering if anyone has any sugestions on the best
> way to do this. Some possibilities that I am considering now are to
> create a "dummy" database that will enable the data from the tapes to
 be
> loaded into this "dummy" database and then sent via e-mail. Another
> possibility is to just load the data from the tapes back into the
> original database and then send the information via e-mail. If you
 have
> suggestions or comments on the current possibilities I would like to
> hear them.
> Thanks for your help,
> Kerri

I think the answer depends on the data and what the requester needs to be able to do with the data. If the data requested for recovery came from 4 to 6 different tables than the ability of the user to make use of 6 attached email files vs using already written applications/reports to present the data is very different from working with only one record type. Are you dumping and recalling individual rows of information or collections that make up shippers, invoices, etc... The answer may be that you need to do both, not for everything, but depending on the data the information is retrieved as a collection or a single file.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.