Re: Tuning Oracle IO

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/05/09

Allen <allen.brost_at_motorola.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 391869BC.DD6C5716_at_motorola.com...
> I was reviewing the Oracle Tuning documentation and noticed something
> very confusing. In chapter 20, Tuning I/O it states:
>
> "Separating Tables and Indexes
> It is not necessary to separate a frequently used table from its index.
> During the course of a transaction, the index is read first, and then the
 table
> is
> read. Because these I/Os occur sequentially, the table and index can be
 stored
> on the same disk without contention."
>

> Wow. Everyone I have talked to has said separate indexes and data on
 different
> drives. Why would Oracle issues such a misleading statement in their
 tuning
> documentaion. Are they correct? Any commets?
>
> - Allen

This statement would apply only if there's only one single user on that database.
For the rest these comments are stupid, and someone should file a documentation bug against them.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Tue May 09 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT