Re: datafile without path affecting backup

From: <rspeaker_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/08

you can pull the tablespace name and datafile name from dba_data_files to see if Oracle has a tablespace associated with that datafile. If not, you can alter database datafile 'name' offline drop to make sure there is no lingering reference to the file inside Oracle, then remove the OS file. If Oracle does show a tablespace association, then query dba_segments to see the segment_name, segment_type, and owner of any segments stored in that tablespace. If there aren't any you should be okay to drop the tablespace, then remove the datafile. If there are segments stored, or you just simply want to keep the file around, I'd suggest renaming it. Take the tablespace offline, alter database rename datafile 'old_path/old_name' to 'new_path/new_name' then put the tablespace back online.

HTH,
Roy

In article <8f6tu6$kca$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   dulundell_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I have a datafile that has no path associated with it. We cannot use
> the back-up utility until this is resolved. Any ideas on how to find
> out what is there, if a path can be assigned, or even if Oracle is
> referencing this datafile for anything? Thanks
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon May 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT