Re: Daylight savings and timezones

From: Jeffrey C. Dege <jdege_at_jdege.visi.com>
Date: 2000/05/08

On Mon, 08 May 2000 03:16:17 GMT, Bob Fazio <rfazio_at_home.com.nospam> wrote:
>I thing the suggestion was to set the timezone to GMT.

I can't set the timezone to GMT if I don't know what the timezone of the server is. The Oracle built-in function that does timezone conversion requires both the from and to timezones to be specified. There isn't a simple local-to-gmt conversion.

All of this seems excessively complicated for a problem that would be inherent in any 24x7 operation. I'd have expected there to be a common approach.

--
It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more
doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage, than the creation of