Re: Slow delete query...

From: Bob Fazio <rfazio_at_home.com.nospam>
Date: 2000/05/06

I will agree with Sybrand in that Raid-5 is probably your problem, but redo's do make a difference.
Delete's require writes. Writes with Raid-5 require 4x the processing of reads.

I import 10G in 1hour. Your database isn't tuned, and if your deletes are taking that long you have a lot more than just one problem. You most likely have quite a few issues. Have you issued a trace on the delete.

An index on the column MyMarket might help some.

--
Robert Fazio, Oracle DBA
rfazio_at_home.com
"Allen" <allen.brost_at_motorola.com> wrote in message

> Here is my query on a table that contains about 2G of info:
>
> SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT BIG_RBS;
> delete from peakData where
> day < '01-jan-00' AND
> MyMarket in ('AT','BO','CA','CB','CH','DA','DE','HO','KS','LA','MA');
> commit;
>

> This statement seems slow to me. Our machine is a Sun Enterprise 250.
The