Re: PL/SQL extenrla procedures (8i 8.1.6.0 WinNT DLLs)

From: Mike Davies <mike_at_hectic.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/05/04

;-) Well, if the server is *this machine* .. me ? Your reply would obviously explains why Createfile doesn't work :-| By the way, according to the documentation, PL/SQL external procedures don't support remote calls, so could *never* be executed on another machine.

As I've had no constructive responses from two forums, I have to assume the worst .. that EXTPROC.EXE doesn't support the Windows API - probably doesn't handle windows messages. Which means that you can use it for toy-town DLLs, but little else.

Mike.

"Finn Ellebaek Nielsen" <fen_at_changegroup.dk> wrote in message news:8eptjp$m6f$1_at_news.inet.tele.dk...
> Well your're trying to display a message box on the server, who will press
> the [OK] button on the server for you?
>
> HTH.
>
> Finn
>
> Mike Davies <mike_at_hectic.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > If I build the sample external procedures from
 \orant\plsql\demo\extproc.*,
> > they work fine.
> >
> > If I write a simple DLL using the same principles, it works fine.
> >
> > But if I put any Windows API calls (CreateFile etc) in the simple DLL,
 the
> > PL/SQL call just hangs. And the only way to tidy up is to abort
 EXTPROC.EXE
> > with a debugger.
> >
> > __declspec(dllexport) void test1()
> > {
> > }
> >
> > __declspec(dllexport) void test2()
> > {
> > MessageBox(NULL,"test","test",MB_OK);
> > }
> >
> > i.e. test1() works, but test2() hangs.
> >
> > The DLL I want to use works fine with other applications (Access,
 Arcview).