Re: pctfree and pctused

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/03

In article <957348869.23759.0.nnrp-13.d4e42fa3_at_news.demon.co.uk>,   "Neil Jellis" <njellis_at_compuserve.com> wrote:
> I am the dba for our company with only a small amount of experience
 at the
> moment.
>
> I am trying to work out what the best pctfree and pctused values
 would be
> for a table that only receives inserts (absolutely no updates or
 deletions)
> and select statements.
>
> The table is essentially an archive of data.
>
> As there will be no updates or deletions I had considered setting
 pctfree to
> 0% but am uncertain what an appropriate value for pctused would be.
>
> Guidance from more experienced dba's would be much appreciated
>
> Neil

In theory a pctfree of 0 will work for a table where no updates or deletions take place and since no deletions occur the pctused setting will not really matter. However, I would not use a pctfree below 05 because someday someone will add another column to the table and populate it or there will be a mass update to change some existing value to a replacement value. If you leave zero free space then this event will chain every row causing the update and future selects to run poorly.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.