Re: Syntax to return first record - Oracle ??

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: 2000/05/03

jason wrote:

> Hi,
> Could anyone tell me how (and if it's possible) to create a SQL query that
> returns only the first (or last) record. Through Access, I could write :
>
> select top 1 changedatetime
> from tab1
> order by changedatetime;
>
> Is there an equivelant key word to 'top' (or 'bottom') when using standard
> SQL ?
> TIA
> Jason

What you are trying to do cannot be done in Oracle. Oracle is a true relational database - Access is not. In a true relational database it is totally absurd to think of anything as being the first row or the last row because that doesn't make sense in the relational world. Received on Wed May 03 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT