Re: Different DBA for different database instance

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/05/02

        There is an old folk saying that I think applies here. "Too many cooks spoil the broth." Five DBAs all working on the same machine is, IMHO, about four too many cooks. If you create a separate instance for each department in order to keep the DBAs from stepping all over each other you need either an awful lot of RAM or a bunch of trivial applications.

        If your applications aren't trivial and/or you don't have enough RAM to avoid thrashing the db buffers you would have to have more than one DBA working in the same instance at the same time. Now, in theory this is possible, but only if all of the parties that are involved agree on a separation of duties. Which, given that they are in different departments, is probably not very likely to happen.