Re: best Hardware for 8i

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/05/01

Matthew Ivaliotes <lotus_at_uiuc.edu> schreef in berichtnieuws LllP4.13142$nb2.272957_at_vixen.cso.uiuc.edu...
> "spencer" <spencerp_at_swbell.net> writes:
>
> >If you absolutely must "stripe" your datafiles, then you must
> >resist the temptation to stripe everything across all of the
> >disks. For some applications, that may be a good approach, but
> >not for an Oracle database.
>
> Why not? Im genuinely curious, as I am an Oracel neophyte just getting
> rolling, and our servers currently have RAID 5 arrays (some hardware,
> some software). If the problem of a stripe set with parity a performance
> problem? What would you suggest for an Oracel 8i wen site which is
> transaction intensive, but with relatively simple transactions?
>
> Matthew Ivaliotes
> Network Analyst
> Office of Human Resources
> University of Illinois
>
> speaking only for myself

The parity check does create a performance problem. Measurements of a few years ago indicated a write on NT was 4 times slower compared to a similar write on Vax/VMS. The config consisted entirely of striped raid-5 drives. There are a few files, the online redologfiles and the controlfiles, which are constantly updated, the redologfiles are written completely sequentially. Any delay in writing the online redolog will simply block or slow down the complete database as a transaction is written to the redolog first. This has been done in order to be capable to piggyback transactions and to write hotspots in the database only once to the database files. Redolog files should ideally not exist on a RAID-5 drive, if you need to use RAID use RAID0+1 instead. This applies to all transactions of any size.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon May 01 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT