Re: best Hardware for 8i

From: Matthew Ivaliotes <lotus_at_uiuc.edu>
Date: 2000/05/01

"spencer" <spencerp_at_swbell.net> writes:

>If you absolutely must "stripe" your datafiles, then you must
>resist the temptation to stripe everything across all of the
>disks. For some applications, that may be a good approach, but
>not for an Oracle database.

Why not? Im genuinely curious, as I am an Oracel neophyte just getting rolling, and our servers currently have RAID 5 arrays (some hardware, some software). If the problem of a stripe set with parity a performance problem? What would you suggest for an Oracel 8i wen site which is transaction intensive, but with relatively simple transactions?

Matthew Ivaliotes
Network Analyst
Office of Human Resources
University of Illinois

speaking only for myself Received on Mon May 01 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT