How do you pass C time_t datetime to Oracle?

From: Don Chambers <dchamber_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 2000/04/30

I am writing my first C++ UNIX program that uses an Oracle database. I am writing the middle tier componet and am having trouble with datetime values.
.
I will be passed a time_t and must return a time time_t. I am not able to get the time_t into the database as a DATE or select a date/time and covert it to the time_t.

Can I insert this format into Oracle directly? I could not find this format for the TO_DATE function.

How do you handle this?

I have written a couple functions to do the conversions using a variety of methods and seem to be off because of time zones. I would think that this is a common task and should be relativly easy.

This time_t variable comes from a windows system where the time is actually an unsigned long that is the number of seconds from Jan. 1, 1970 00:00:00. In the middle tier I am using Pro*C/C++. Does pro C provide a conversion for this?

Thanks,

	Don
	chambers_at_inquiregroup.com