Re: Can't shutdown immediate ??

From: Mike Philippens <mphilipp_at_oracle-home.com>
Date: 2000/04/30

Let's get things straigt here:
Shutdown comes in three flavors
-normal : waits for everything to complete and users to log off and then shuts down.
-immediate : disallows new logons, and waits for active jobs/queries to complete (does NOT abort/rollback running queries) and then shuts down. -abort : kills all oracle processes which results in a shutdown.

If you want a shutdown to happen immediately without the chance of having to wait for active jobs to complete, the choice would be a shutdown abort. This is not a nice way to shutdown since it actually kills the processes that makes Oracle tick. To be safe you should do a shutdown abort, startup restrict (only DBA's can log on) and shutdown normal. This way, Oracle has the chance to do an instance recovery and clean up the remains of active transactions (ie a rollback).
Another way of accomplishing this is to issue a startup force, even when the database is already running. This will shutdown and startup the database immediately and do a rollback. A shutdown normal will shut the database down again and you don't have to worry about it coming up ok again.

Mike Philippens
http://www.oracle-home.com