Re: Oracle hangs!

From: Dave Wotton <Dave.Wotton_at_dwotton.nospam.clara.co.uk>
Date: 2000/04/29

argosy22_at_my-deja.com wrote in message <8eccjh$435$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
>Hi all,
>

>We are experiencing some strange symtoms.
>For the first time ever, I have seen Oracle just hang!
> [snip]
>A shutdown immediate just hung also.
>Shutdown abort worked. It restarted and worked fine.
> [snip]
>The crazy thing is that there is no error message.

A common cause of a database just "hanging" is that you've got archive logging switched on (good), but you've either forgotten to start the ARCH process (not true in this case) or ARCH is failing to do its job (perhaps the destination disc for archived redo logs is full?), so log switches are not being performed. Once both online redo logs are full, the database will just "hang" until a switch succeeds. Check your alert.log file: there may be a message there.

>I notice that there are lots of processes for the first database,
>but only a few for the other one.

Have you declared your new database in the listener.ora file on the server and the tnsnames.ora files on the clients so that your developers can actually select your new database?

Dave.

--
If you reply to this posting by email, remove the "nospam" from my email
address first.