Re: Syntax to return first record - Oracle ??

From: DeVerne Coleman <dsleuth_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 2000/04/29

Unfortunately this will not work. Oracle evaluates the rownum = 1 before the order by. Therefore, the first row oracle finds, regardless of value of changedatetime will be returned and sorted. This will not give you the result you want. I believe the other answer posted to this question will work. You could, also, do this:

select * from
(select changedatetime
from tab1
order by changedatetime)
where rownum = 1;

I believe that I've seen that this will work.

Hope this helps.

DeVerne