Re: How do I use Oracle from a UNIX C++ program (Pro C, OCI, etc)?

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: 2000/04/28

Don wrote:

> I am writing a middle tier C++ program that will run on a UNIX system
> (HP-UX) and needs to connect to Oralce. Has anyone had success with
> this? What is the best way to do it?
>
> I have tried using Pro*C but it does not inetgrate well with our
> development environemnt (SoftBench). There is also very little
> documentation on it and Oracle tech support is no help with setup
> problems. They just tell me to look at a sample make file.
>
> I am considering using the Orcle Call Interface (OCI) but have never
> used it.
>
> I can't seem to find many books or any classes for Pro*C or OCI.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> I can use a third party tool if one is available but I would like to
> be able to use SQL statements if possible.

I don't understand what you mean when you say Pro-C is not well-documented. It is extremely well documented and I've used it quite a bit over the years without any problems. If it doesn't work with some environment that you are using, then the problem isn't with Pro-C because it is very well-behaved - the problem is with your environment which would have to disregard common C conventions in order to cause problems with Pro-C. I suspect that the problem is probably with the makefile and is caused by trying to circumvent the methodologies used in the Oracle makefiles.

OCI is also fine. It is fairly simple to create a database class or an abstract class which uses OCI to handle DML. Oracle has documentation that you would receive if you have a legal copy of the database.

The other solution would be to outsource the work to those who regularly use Pro-C and OCI. Received on Fri Apr 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT