running proc from client system

From: Roger S Reynolds <rsr_at_rogerware.com>
Date: 2000/04/26

Assuming that an oracle 8i server instance is running on a shared server machine, and we have a set of developer workstations that access this server.
For convenience sake, each developer is set up as a database user with the same username, and identified externally.

I have os_authent_prefix set to "", and on the *local* machine, they can simply
say "sqlplus /" and be connected to the database without any problem.

Trouble is, this doesn't appear to work in connecting to a "remote" database.
If one tries "sqlplus /@server" one gets an error message about autologin begin
disabled. Whereas "sqlplus scott/tiger_at_server" works just fine.

Furthermore, "sqlplus scott/@server" will prompt for a password, and if you enter tiger, you will be connected. Entering "sqlplus myname/@server" will also prompt for a password, but entering my real OS password does not work, as if it is the wrong password.

In fact, even on the local machine, just doing "sqlplus" and then entering username and password has the same result - the password is not accepted.

The bottom line question in all of this is that I'm trying to setup a PRO*C command
to run from a client machine which would have access to the $ORACLE_HOME/bin via NFS mount, but would not have an oracle instance running locally. The generic rule, I believe, needs to be along the lines of:

   proc USERID=/@server bla bla bla
so that any user that exists (as an identified externally user) should be able to
execute the command, without having to pause to enter a password, include the plain text password in the makefile, or any other such goofiness.

There has got to be a straightforward way to deal with this sort of thing - right?

My configuration is Oracle 8i on solaris 7. Thanks for any pointers.

Roger S. Reynolds
email: rsr_at_rogerware.com rsr_at_softix.com Received on Wed Apr 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT